This recipe is easy to make and low in fat. It is a favourite in our house.
- 300g/10oz basmati rice
- 25gr/1 oz butter
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cardamom pods
- Small cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 4 boneless, skinless Carlow Free Range chicken breasts (approx. 400gr), cut into large chunks
- 4 tsp. curry paste (we used Patak’s Balti Paste (not sauce))
- 85g/3.5 oz raisins
- 850ml /1.5 pints chicken stock
- Chopped coriander and toasted flaked almonds, to serve
- Soak the basmati rice in warm water, then wash in cold until the water runs clear. Heat butter in a saucepan and cook the onion with the bay leaf and other whole spices for 10 mins. Sprinkle in the
turmeric, then add Carlow Free Range chicken breasts and curry paste and cook until aromatic.
- Stir the basmati rice into the pan with the raisins, and then pour over the stock. Place a tight-fitting lid on the pan and bring to the boil, then lower the heat to a minimum and cook the basmati rice for another 5 mins. Turn off the heat and leave for 10 mins. Stir well, mixing through half the coriander and the almonds.